Rathbone Unit Trust Management and responsible investment
Rathbone Unit Trust Management responsible investment policy
We created this policy because we wanted to:
- Give our clients a clear understanding of the extent to which responsible or sustainable criteria are factored into the investment process of each of our funds
- Meet the current and likely future regulations around taxonomy and reporting requirements in the UK and other jurisdictions in which we operate
- Clarify our alignment to and application of the commitments made by Rathbones Group around responsible investment and in particular to the net zero initiative.
In essence, our funds can be divided into two categories:
1. Responsibly invested funds without a sustainable mandate
- Integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) risk factors into investment decision making
- Voting with purpose
- Engagement with consequences
2. Sustainable investment funds
- All of the above, and additionally:
- Follow “do no harm” exclusions
- Implement “do good” clauses
- Independent analysis and third-party veto of holdings.
Our responsible investment principles
- ESG integration: we will consider environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors in the evaluation of investments to help identify ESG opportunities and risks.
- Voting with purpose: we will actively vote across over 95% of the value of our holdings in line with our responsible investment commitments. This may involve voting against management to help drive positive change.
- Engagement with consequences: we will prioritise engagement where we can make a real difference in addressing the world’s systemic environmental and societal challenges. We are prepared to reduce our holdings in companies who continue to present an ESG risk over time.
- Transparency: as a prominent participant in the financial markets, we are committed to being transparent about our approach to responsible investment. We will actively report on the progress of our RI activities to our clients, shareholders and other stakeholders.
Our stewardship policy statement for Rathbone Unit Trust Management can be viewed here
We appreciate the need to be transparent about our stewardship activities on behalf of our clients. We report annually on our Stewardship and Engagement Activities. For more information, please contact Matt Crossman, Stewardship Director.
Modern Slavery Statement
As part of the Rathbone Group, Rathbone Unit Trust Management adheres to the statement on Modern Slavery produced by the group. This is provided here.